Saturday, September 29, 2007

Maya and the Kangaroo Pouch!

In anticipation of our trip to Seattle, including 4 airplane rides, I wanted to find a comfortable way for Maya to travel. I had been using the Baby Bjorn front carrier or stroller to take her on walks or to the mall. The BB seemed to make her tip out away from me, and it was really difficult for her to fall asleep in it. The stroller worked pretty well, but if I needed to nurse her, I couldn't hold her and push the stroller at the same time. Plus, she's such a social bee, I wanted her to be closer to eye level with everyone in her world! Often in the stroller, she seemed to be overlooked, and truth be told, that bothered me a bit. I knew that going to Seattle, she would need comfort, and I would need convenience. Enter the HotSling.

Maya and I spent 2 days and several hours at Baby Beloved, a wonderful breastfeeding store, trying on different slings and wraps to find the perfect fit. We finally picked the HotSling for its ease of use, versatility, and Maya's comfort! She fits in it snug as a bug in a rug! Then for the test drive... we went to the mall and walked for a few hours. It was fabulous! Several different people approached us and started talking directly to Maya! They would talk and talk to her, then several seconds later, say hi or ask me a question about her. I loved the attention she was getting, and she was clearly pleased with it, too. She was all smiles to everyone we came in contact with... melting hearts across the mall with a single grin! I was amazed how much more included she was in just regular daily transactions. I loved it. She loved it. We found the perfect sling! Now, I will just have to go on lots of walks with her before the trip to get her used to being in it for extended periods of time. Also, I'll need to practice positioning her for naps and work on conditioning my body for longer periods of wearing. With frequent use, those things should come with ease!

She did take one nap in the sling while we were in the mall. I just tipped her back farther into the sling, pulled the outside fabric (or rail for those of you in the know) up, and she settled right in and took a snooze! She seemed pretty comfy-cozy! I think the HotSling was definitely a good investment. Now, if I can convince Will to let me get just one more pattern...

(Thank you to Jill, the master of baby slings and wraps, for teaching me a lot about baby wearing!)

No comments: