We met the last doctor in the OB practice that we have been seeing all these months. There are 4 doctors, and I have enjoyed meeting all of them. I can honestly say that I don't care who shows up to catch baby Liam because I really liked all of the docs! That's a wonderful feeling. Baby Liam continues to grow and take up more room than he should be by this point. I'm 35 weeks and 2 days, and he is measuring a solid 37 weeks. They assured me at the last ultrasound that he's not large by any means, so he must just be really stretched out in there! I can constantly feeling him under my left rib cage, which makes bending over for anything a real treat. Sometimes it's actually painful to bend over! It feels like his feet (or whatever) are going to bust right through my bottom ribs! I also get shoulder pain every once in a while, and I believe it's referred pain from him squishing my spleen (also located on the left side)! I remember always being able to feel Maya's butt in my left upper abdominal quadrant, but I never remember it being painful. He must be turned the opposite way, causing his feet and knees to take up residence where her butt used to be. I think I preferred the butt!
Dr. K. asked me a little about my labor and delivery with Maya and whether or not I had an epidural and if I planned on having another one. I told him that I did with her, and I'd really rather not have one this time around. He was very reassuring that I could get through without it, and basically just told me that if I can just make it to transition (7 cm is when that starts), I wouldn't have the opportunity to have one at that point because I'd be too close to giving birth. I thought that sounded great... If I can just get to the point that there's no going back, and it's too late to get meds, I can make it. He said labor and delivery will be easier this time, and he urged me to use the bathtub they have in each room. He was very encouraging!
Maya did really well at the doctor's office today. As soon as Dr. K. (a warm, older, grandfatherly-like man) walked into the room, Maya pointed at Will and said, "Dada", then she pointed at me and said, "Mom." Dr. K. just laughed, talked to her for a minute, thanked for the introductions, and shook her hand. Maya was clearly very proud of herself for helping. She sat on Will's lap during my exam (measuring my belly and fetal heart tones) and and listened intently to Liam's heart beat, bopping along to the beat of the music. It was so cute. Dr. K. asked her if that was her baby brother, and she shook her head yes and responded, "Ah-huh". After I sat up, she wanted onto the table with me. As Dr. K. was wrapping up the visit, Maya laid down on the table, pulled up her shirt, and started patting her belly. Dr. K. took notice and asked if she needed her belly checked. She shook her head "yes", so he mashed around on her belly a little bit, while she laid as still and serious as could be. When he finished, he said, "Well, everything looks good!" She continued to lay on the table and started pointing to his coat then back to her belly. It was when he pulled his doppler out that she shook her head "yes" and said, "Mm-hmm". Dr. K. turned it on, placed it on her belly and let her listen to the static for a little bit. She was pleased as punch! When he finished listening, he helped her sit up, told her everything looked good, and she gave him five and shook his hand. It was the cutest darn thing I've ever seen. I was so glad that she interacted so well with Dr. K., and that he was SO nice to her. It was easy to see that he got a kick out of her personality and curiosity. That was by far the most fun I've ever had at a doctor's appointment!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Wendy -
I was checking to see if little Liam had made an arrival yet :). Little Maya sounds way too cute!
~Randi
Post a Comment