Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Pregnancy Induced Retirement

That's right, you read correctly. Pregnancy Induced Retirement, or PIR for short. After being placed on lifting restrictions related to my pregnancy, my manager promptly made me fill out short term disability forms. Apparently I suddenly became a libility in the PACU (post anesthesia care unit, where I functioned as an RN), so they shipped me off to the sticker factory, better know as Health Information Management. The "sticker factory" is what my husband dubbed it after I gave him my new job description. It goes like this: I sat in the back of the medical records warehouse by myself for 9 hours a day, 4 days a week, placing color-coded stickers onto future medical file folders. After about 4 weeks, I advanced to tearing stickers off and blacking out memos on other folders. On special occasions, I was able to organize fetal heart tone monitor strips from other pregnant women. So, I tell you all of that to get to this... I could work on restrictions for only 8 weeks, and today was my last day! For the remainder of my pregnancy, I will be at home, getting ready for Maya, our baby! My husband says the PIR is my "practice" for my future role as a stay-at-home-mom. I couldn't agree more, and I plan on making the most of every moment before my responsibility level goes through the roof come late spring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear MayaMama,
After reading about your PIR, I'm positive Retirement will definitely agree with you. I am looking forward to reading all the updates and pictures about you, Will and Maya. I will be checking in regularly. Take care.
Love,
MayaMama's Mama