It's fun for me to watch them interact, too. Maya is such a good "little mommy". She's always giving Liam random kisses and hugs, and yesterday she displayed the ultimate nurturing gesture... she tried to nurse him! She wanted to hold him, so she climbed under the Boppy pillow (like I always have it for nursing) and held out her hands. I sat him inside the pillow, facing her, and she lifted up her shirt and said, "Eat, eat." as she pulled his little shoulder toward her body. It was so cute. I told her that she doesn't have any "baby milk". She just looked at him for a second, put her shirt down, looked at him a moment longer, then she said, "deee" (done) while she gently pushed him towards me. As humorous as the story is, it really was a special moment, to see that level of love pour out from such a little girl. You could say that she was just mimicking what she sees several times a day, but I really think deep down it was more than that. Not only does she witness breastfeeding several times per day, but I'm sure she notices that eating is comforting to him. It's a surefire way to calm him when he cries. Although he wasn't crying when she wanted to hold him, it melted my heart to see her attempt to give of herself in that way. It was a touching moment that may never happen again, so I am thankful that I was lucky enough to witness it. Maya is really turning out to be a great, loving big sister. I'm so proud of her.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Scrub-a-Dub-Dub...
It's fun for me to watch them interact, too. Maya is such a good "little mommy". She's always giving Liam random kisses and hugs, and yesterday she displayed the ultimate nurturing gesture... she tried to nurse him! She wanted to hold him, so she climbed under the Boppy pillow (like I always have it for nursing) and held out her hands. I sat him inside the pillow, facing her, and she lifted up her shirt and said, "Eat, eat." as she pulled his little shoulder toward her body. It was so cute. I told her that she doesn't have any "baby milk". She just looked at him for a second, put her shirt down, looked at him a moment longer, then she said, "deee" (done) while she gently pushed him towards me. As humorous as the story is, it really was a special moment, to see that level of love pour out from such a little girl. You could say that she was just mimicking what she sees several times a day, but I really think deep down it was more than that. Not only does she witness breastfeeding several times per day, but I'm sure she notices that eating is comforting to him. It's a surefire way to calm him when he cries. Although he wasn't crying when she wanted to hold him, it melted my heart to see her attempt to give of herself in that way. It was a touching moment that may never happen again, so I am thankful that I was lucky enough to witness it. Maya is really turning out to be a great, loving big sister. I'm so proud of her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can't believe how BIG Liam is. He looks so grown up already! Love the bath and feeding story with Maya
Post a Comment