Saturday, June 5, 2010

Fit For a Princess

Maya's room got a MAJOR overhaul this week. I was done with the "surfer-girl" theme and wanted to switch it to something more her... so, I took down all things surfing and replaced it with all things PRINCESS! Note the mural on the right wall. That is a re-positionable stick-on wall art. I was very leery of it initially, but now that it's up, I LOVE IT. The words on the left wall are the same stuff. They say, "Once upon a time, there was a Princess...". I would highly recommend it to anyone. They look great! Maya looked totally confused when she first walked in. She held her hands out to her sides, palms up, and was kind of looking around and mumbling, "How did... who... what happened? Mommy did you do this to my room?" It was really cute. She immediately climbed onto the bed to check out her stuff and make sure it was all there...
Shortly after Will left with the kids on Tuesday, I had a meltdown over Maya's bed and the fact that we will NEVER be able to put anything else in her room. With the headboard on, it was just too big, so I tore the headboard off, hauled it across the hall into the guest bedroom, and totally rearranged the furniture in her room. It's 100% better now. The floor space doubled, and I love the room now! The pink and purple curtains were a must, since those are her favorite colors! The bed is pretty tall, so there's a step stool to help her into bed...My Dad came over early on Friday morning to tackle the much needed paint job. The room is still pink, but it's toned down a ton. Before, it felt like I was walking into a bottle of Pepto-Bismol. Now, it's very mellow and pleasant, VERY girly. The color is called "Ballet Slippers", and that is a perfect description. I love it. Maya checks out some new flowers with her Papa...
I found these plastic butterflies at Target for $20. There's 20 butterflies in 4 sizes, and each comes with a tack and optional spacers to mount them on the wall at different depths. I thought that for the dramatic effect, it was well worth the money. I'd put these anywhere in the house. They are awesome!
Some pictures of Tinkerbell was a must, since her bedding is Tinkerbell that she picked out. We also added some shelves to the walls for her knick-knacks. Notice the table in her room with her "Calico Critters" house and accessories on it...
A closer look at "Tink"...
My favorite decoration (again)...Buddy enjoyed the room, too! They were very excited about the make-over and had a great time celebrating by jumping on the bed...
All day Saturday felt like I was a designer on the reality TV show "While You Were Out" (or whatever it's called). Dad and I were hanging pictures and shelves, sticking up decals, calling around to find the "tiara" picture and rushing to Holland and back to get it, touching up some mistakes that were made in haste, hanging curtains, and cleaning before the family pulled into the driveway. We were literally putting on the finishing touches as they pulled into the garage, but we made it! Whew! We were scrambling!!

I'm so pleased with how the room turned out. It will definitely have the potential to grow with her. With the quick change of the Tinkerbell pictures and bedding, it can be transformed into a dream bedroom for a girl of any age. For now, it's perfect for our little Princess Maya.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The room looks like every little girls dream. You did a wonderful job!!!

Hilary said...

I LOVE IT!!! You did a fantastic job! :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome job on the decorating. God Bless you!