Friday, August 6, 2010

REET!

"REET, REET!" That's what Buddy says when he sees a frog. Instead of identifying animals by their names, he makes their sound, and frogs go, "REET, REET!" You can see the excitement, expressed in his entire face. Buddy was insistent on pulling the chair up to the counter to watch the frogs today, but instead of risking another injury from a fall, I put the frogs on the table and prayed that he wouldn't take the lid off of their little cube! He was quite content for awhile, just intently studying the frogs, swimming around in the water...
Apparently, at some point, he got some water or something on his hand. I'm betting that he tried to stick his little finger in the hole on top of the cube where we put the food in. Just a guess. Whatever it was, his focus is clearly shifted away from the action of the "REET!" to whatever was going on with his finger. I just love his chubby hands. They still look baby-ish to me. I know they won't be that way long, so I have to soak it in now, while I still can.
These frogs remain to be the perfect pets. They are extremely low maintenance and get ignored most of the time (which doesn't matter to them), yet look how much happiness and joy they bring to the kids when they do decide to check them out!
Buddy just loves animals. This is a love that he very strongly shares with his sister. I think they would be totally happy to spend every day at the zoo or on a farm. For now, I guess the "REET!" will have to do!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

He looks so much bigger, Wendy, I cannot believe how much he has grown!!!!! Miss you guys!