My hair has grown out about as long as I feel it necessary to grow out (about to the bottom of my shoulder blades), and I was getting restless. Every time this happens, I chop it off, then spend the next day in tears, wishing I had my hair back. I decided that wasn't going to happen again (at least, not this time). I figured I had two options, color or a perm. Color tends to have a lot of upkeep, especially in hair that grows as fast as mine, so I went with the perm. Since perms are SO 1980's/early 1990's, I was a little hesitant. I didn't want to end up looking like a poodle, so I agreed to do it ONLY after I was guaranteed by the stylist that it would be loose waves, not tight curls. I trust her, so I went for it! She used these crazy long foam rods that made me look like Medusa. Add the gigantic swath of cotton wrapped around my head, and I was the definition of a "hot mess". Really. It was bad. Three and a half hours and one glass of white zinfandel later, I was a new woman! The style looked a little less Meg Ryan than I hoped but more like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman", which is fine by me! My next hair cut will be a Locks-of-Love donation with a style like Rapunzel's at the end of "Tangled". It's really cute, and I'm already looking forward to it!
We had an unexpected situation with Maya this morning. When I told her it was a school day, she started whining and saying that she didn't want to go to school. What?! I have NEVER heard her say that before, so I was a little torn on what to do. Will, on the other hand, was not. I always said I wouldn't force her to do anything she didn't want to do, and let's be honest, it's just 3-year-old preschool. She could probably skip a day, and it would be fine. However, I don't want to set that precedent. I don't want her thinking that she can just say, "I just don't feel like going to school today," and expect me to say, "Okay." NO! That's not how I roll. Then again, it's just preschool. Would letting her play hooky for one day ruin her entire school career? Probably not, but I'd rather not take the chance. Will did not have ANY conflict on making the decision. I don't think it would have mattered what I said on the subject because as soon as the words came out of her mouth, these words came flying out of his, "Well, you're GOING to school." Clearly, to him, there will never be any other option. The kids better hope their Dad is at work if they are ever sick and want to stay home! I'm not sure how sick they'd have to be to get a "stay home" pass from him! Hahahaha... I was a little bit surprised by his reaction, but I backed him 100%. As soon as I saw how convicted he was on the subject, it helped me get out of my wishy-washy mindset and jump on the "you're GOING to school" bandwagon. It was the right decision. For sure. When Will brought her home from school, she ran up to me and said, "I changed my mind! I changed my mind! I want to go to school now!" I gave her a big hug and told her that I thought she would, as I KNOW she loves school.
Speaking of bandwagons, I got back on my diet and exercise bandwagon today. I started wearing my BodyBugg to keep track of the calories I burn throughout the day, and I'm tracking my calorie intake online. This will let me know if I have a calorie surplus or deficit, according to my goals, by the end of the day. It's pretty cool, and I'm really hoping it will help me stay on track. Will is doing it, too, so hopefully that will help. I hit the gym today for the first time since before the holidays. I ran a MILE for the first time in months, and it felt really good! I'm definitely going to start running again. I'm shooting for the 10k at the 5/3 River Bank Run on May 14th. I ran it last year with a super crappy time (1:17), so it shouldn't be too difficult to beat that time this year. I'm just happy to be focusing on getting healthy again. I think with Will and I doing this together, it should be easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment