Friday, December 26, 2008

Wonderfully Uncomfortable...

I'm two days over-due, and getting more uncomfortable by the minute. For those of you close to me know that I've grumbled about being uncomfortably huge for several weeks now. Despite my growing discomfort, I'm grateful to have carried this baby to full term status (and even a little longer). I have too many friends that have not been so lucky to carry their babies so long, and I've seen the issues that they have struggled with by having premature babies. That's why I say I'm wonderfully uncomfortable. While I'm anxious to meet my new son, I'm so glad to know he shouldn't have any complications from lack of time to develop.

These past few days, I've been reminded how lucky we are, what great friends and family we have, and that there's so much to be thankful for. We spent Christmas Eve evening with close friends, enjoying good food and great company. We ended Christmas Eve at my very first Christmas Eve candle-light church service, and I loved every minute of it. I look forward to taking Maya and Liam next year. Christmas day was very low-key, spent in our jammies, opening presents about all day, just me, Will, Maya, and dad. It was relaxing and fun. Just as we had decided to snack on crackers and cheese and chocolate-covered raisins for dinner, the phone rang. Our wonderful friends Amy and Bill, from down the street, wondered if we wanted some ham, cheesy-potatoes, snack mix, and a plate full of desserts. We were gracious for the offering and enjoyed the meal (and company) thoroughly. Before tucking Maya in at night, we made our 3rd annual visit to a music/light display in Grand Haven. Maya seemed to enjoy it, as long as she could sit still, anyway! Will and I finished the night with a little Guitar Hero (my gift to Will, which, by the way is a ton of fun and highly addictive!). I was so happy to be home on Christmas and not in the hospital!

This morning, we drove to the hospital for my non-stress test (NST). I was placed on a monitor for about 45 minutes, and Liam passed with flying colors. They said he looks great! The resident on duty checked my cervix, and I'm dilated to 3 cm and 60% effaced! Yay! Something is happening despite my lack of contractions this week! The plan for now is to go into labor this weekend, and if that doesn't happen, I'll go back to the doctor's office on Monday for another NST. Will is very anxious for Liam's arrival because his days off are quickly diminishing. Which leads me to another blessing... Will received a call this afternoon from a co-worker informing him that he had a change in plans for next week. He was supposed to be going out of town to see family, but now they will be home, which leaves him available to work on any day that Will needs him to cover a shift! Worse case scenario, I don't go into labor this weekend, Will doesn't have to worry about missing anything! What a weight off!

Since we had cause for celebration and lots of ingredients for fresh pizza, we had a ton of company come over tonight for dinner. I made 4 pizzas for 13 people, and we had a great time! Maybe that's what they refer to as "nesting". Maya got to see her little "buddy" Max, and we spent the evening visiting and playing with some more great friends.

It seems like we are continually blessed with good fortune, and it does not go unnoticed. I feel so lucky to have such awesome friends and family (my dad has provided more help than he could ever know, and I'm so thankful), and I just feel so lucky every day. I'm so glad that I cancelled that induction. It just didn't feel right, and I believe Liam will be here very soon (on his own terms). I know everything will work out. I continue to pray that we will both be healthy and I'll have good nurses! He'll be here soon... I just know it.

No comments: