Friday, February 26, 2010

Buddy's 1st Trip to the Pool (And Other Water Adventures)

Buddy FINALLY got to go to the pool today!! I was so sad when I realized that he reached his 1st birthday (and beyond) without a single trip to the pool. Poor kid. The YMCA (or CMI, as Maya was calling it) had open family swim time in the morning, so we pushed Liam through his nap and headed out for some fun. I expected him to be pretty excited about getting in the water, but as you can plainly see from the picture with Will, he was not so much. Once I got into the water, it was easy to see why. It was lukewarm at best, not the bathwater warm I was hoping for. Maya didn't care at all and was very eager to get wet. She was REALLY clingy at first, wanting to climb on top of us to feel safe in the water. I finally pried her off of me and put a noodle under her arms and chest. I held onto her belly and back, and she immediately relaxed. She spent the rest of the time splashing, kicking, "suming" (swimming, which she kept telling us to let go of her!), and jumping in off the side. Fun as usual for Maya!

Liam loosened up after some games of "The Grand Old Duke of York", where I jumped up and down with him every time is says "up" or "down" in the song. We also did some spinning around, which makes him laugh on land or at sea. You can see that after some time, he decided the pool was pretty fun...
Right after this was taken, we retreated to the FREEZING cold locker rooms to shower and dress. I was holding Liam up on the changing table (still naked at this point, um, him, not me), when all of a sudden, he let loose and peed ALL over the floor! Maya was holding a towel, so I made a quick attempt to block the stream with the towel. It was too late. Awesome! I was just glad that Maya was standing where she was... he narrowly missed peeing on her head by inches! Holy cow, can you imagine?? She would have been ticked! Whew! Both kids were much happier once they were finally dressed in warm clothes and heading out of the locker room. By the way, Maya used the "big girl potty" without her Dora seat! Yippee!!

Our OTHER water adventure occurred tonight in the bathtub. The kids had showered at the Y, but Maya wanted to play in the bath for fun. Both kids were sitting in the tub, when I looked at Liam and noticed his face was a little red. Uh-oh. Suddenly, there was poop floating in the tub! Ah, crap!! I grabbed Buddy, Will grabbed Maya, and we yanked them out of the water before they got too contaminated. Maya was NOT impressed. Liam didn't seem to mind at all! In fact, as soon as Liam got out of the tub, he peed all over the floor! No, I'm not joking!! Will took over diapering and dressing duties, while I started the nasty process of cleaning out the tub. Blech. My saving grace was when Maya returned, and after looking at the poop in the tub for a minute, she informed me, "a turtle, a seahorse, and a dolphin!" I asked her, "those animals did that?" She pointed a one of the poops in question, and said, "No. Dare's a turtle, wight dare!" Oh, my... I suppose from her angle it did, in fact, look like a turtle! How very perceptive of her! No matter how hard I tried, though, I just couldn't make out the dolphin or the seahorse, so I'm not sure how she came up with those ones! Hahaha...

No comments: