Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Irish Jig 5K

This morning, Karen and I battled the 32 (feels like 25) degree SNOWY weather to run through the streets of E. GR in the Irish Jig! Just yesterday, I ran my longest run to date, 5 miles, in the nicest sunniest 55 degree weather, so I kept checking the forecast for today, thinking, "No WAY is it going to snow!" I could NOT believe it when I got up this morning and there was snow on the ground! I expected that for our run 2 weeks ago, but I did NOT expect it for our run today... on the 1st day of SPRING! It was crazy! It was freezing outside, and because of the snow, by the time I finished half of the race, I was sloshing in my shoes! My clothes were soaked! Ick. I don't think there's any right way to prepare for that kind of weather, except of course, to just stay out of it! Hahaha... too bad that's no longer an option! Anyway, my dad was there to wish us luck, hold our stuff, and see us off at the start, then he retreated into the warmth of Starbuck's during the race. Smart man. He joined back up with us at the finish line to congratulate us on a job well done. It's always SO NICE to have a fan there! Because of a series of camera/operator malfunctions, there's no picture of me and my dad to post here, but I was able to salvage one from a short video to put in my running scrapbook. Anyway... Karen was able to shave about 25 seconds off her time and finished in about 25:30-ish. WOW! That's so awesome. I finished in 34:34. Not as good as my 1st 5K, but it was still under 35 minutes. I'm happy I was able to pull that off, considering my slight hang-up trying to fix a minor wardrobe malfunction! I had tucked my Under Armor shirt into my running pants, and because the outside of the shirt is a little slick, my pants kept riding up and up and up... until they finally reached the bottom of my ribcage! At about 1.5 miles, I couldn't take it any more, so I fought to free my shirt from my pants, got my pants pulled back into place, and readjusted my top shirt, all the while trying to run! Apparently, I can't layer my clothes like that. Lesson learned. I also don't think I will run my "long run" of the week right before a race again. I was a little drained and probably shouldn't have been running on the day that my body should be repairing my muscles from the trauma of such a long run. This is such a learning curve! I'm amazed at how much a learn every single time I put on my running shoes. There's always some new aspect of running to consider... wardrobe, weather, water, shoes, accessories, etc... All I know is that I still have a VERY long way to go! Hahaha... no pun intended. : )

No comments: