Today I volunteered to work at the Aeromed Reunion. I helped man the "Aeromed Boutique", where we sold a bunch of Aeromed logo paraphernalia (shirts, hats, scrubs, etc...). It was a really great day. There were tons of patients and families that turned out to meet and thank the crews that had transported them to the hospital by air. These patients are mostly the sickest of the sick or most injured of the injured. You have to be in dire straits to be transported by helicopter to a hospital. The thing is, these people (both the patients and families) know that, and they were SO GRATEFUL to the crews who ultimately saved their lives (or transported them quickly to someone who could save their life).
The patient who touched me most today was an adolescent male that wrecked an ATV last summer. He was in a very remote location, so they did a scene flight, where the patient is picked up at the site of the accident. He was in really bad shape. They hoped he would make it, but at the time, they weren't sure he would survive. If he did survive, they weren't sure how his quality of life would be affected. This was particularly difficult because he was just a kid, with his whole future ahead of him. The last anyone at Aeromed had heard, months ago, was that the kid was in rehab, but nobody knew how well he had recovered physically or mentally.
I will tell you that the kid walked into the hanger today, looking and acting like any normal teenage boy. He continues to have some difficulty with speech from the traumatic brain injury, but besides that one issue, he made a complete recovery. His parents were there with him, and I got a chance to talk to his dad a little bit. He said they were so lucky to have their son there today. He did not think it would have been possible without the excellent care that his son received on that tragic day from the Aeromed crew. He said, "That doctor saved his life." That doctor was Will! He saved their son. It was his skill, quick action, and decision making that gave their son another chance. He saved his life. There is no act greater than that.
Will is very humble about what he does at Aeromed and in the ER. Not me. I wanted to climb to the top of the tallest building in Grand Rapids and shout it from the rooftops! My chest swelled with pride, and my heart overflowed with love. I know Will would say that it's just his job, and I would have to disagree. Not just anybody can do what he does. Not everybody who does his job is great at it. Will is great at it. That kid is alive today because Will is great at what he does. Everyone that works with him tells me that he's a super guy to work with, and he's great with his patients. It doesn't surprise me one bit. He's the greatest man I've ever known. I feel so blessed to have him in my life. I couldn't be luckier.
Since Will wouldn't allow me to climb and shout his successes from the rooftops, I will just brag about him here. Next time any of you see Will, give him a hug, pat on the back, or something. He deserves it. Will was so excited to see that patient today. As soon as he spotted him, he came over to get me, so I could take a picture of them together. He had no idea that the kid had recovered so well, and while Will looked very calm and collected on the outside, I could tell that he felt like a kid in a candy store on the inside. That was the only patient that Will took care of that came to the reunion today. I was so happy for Will that the kid and his parents came back to meet him and the nurse from the flight. Will had been wondering if he would see any of his patients there, and he didn't think he would. The thought of him not having one patient or family member show up had kind of bummed him out, but boy did his face light up when that kid walked through the door. Today is a day that I won't soon forget. I'm sure it will be etched in Will's memory for many years as well. I'm so proud of him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment