Monday, April 2, 2007

Happy Birthday to Ruby!

Our little girl is growing up! Hahaha... that is, our furry little girl, Ruby. She turned 6 years old today! I can't believe we have had her for 6 years. How time flies. We celebrated (and by "we", I mean Ruby and I) her birthday with a trip to PetSmart. She gets a toy and special treats every year on her birthday. Will thinks it's ridiculous... whatever! I try to let her "pick stuff out", but all she cares about it is eating every treat she finds on the floor and under the shelves. I let her lead me all over the store, exploring for food like she hasn't eaten in months, then we (or I) pick out her presents, and we check out. Ruby loves the check out counter because, you guessed it, there are more treats, and the people love to feed her!

She was a little skittish today when we arrived in the parking lot because of the traumatic episode a week ago (when we ALMOST got her nails trimmed). Apparently she has a longer memory than I gave her credit for. She only stopped shaking when she blazed past the groomer's door, and I didn't attempt to direct her inside. There were only two instances when she felt the need to hit the ground for cover. The first was when she inadvertently ended up smack dab in front of the goldfish tanks. Before she knew it, she was standing face to face with hundreds of terrifying goldfish! All the movement clearly caught her off guard, and she freaked out! Her second brush with death was when she accidentally spotted her own reflection in a sliding glass door on one of the shelves she had been so innocently sniffing under. I thought she might have a stroke! She is such a chicken! Will says that she gets it from me, and he's probably right! It does make me laugh, though. She's the silliest darn dog I've ever seen. I wouldn't trade her for anything! I love her to bits and pieces!

Maya has been on the move ALL day today! I read that babies sleep about 90-95 percent of the time before they're born. I think she was awake for about 95 percent of the time today! She's been a little jumping bean. Her movements and kicks are getting so strong, I found myself trying to move back away from her a couple of times today, during her more violent episodes! Like arching my back out is going to help! I just can't help it sometimes when she's giving me a beating from the inside out! My instinct is to move back! It's crazy, but true. My belly has been distorted all sorts of ways and shapes today, too. It's definitely been fun to watch and feel. Will was even getting a kick out of it when he had his hand resting on there while we watched a movie. I think all of her squirming amazes him as much as it does me. No matter how awkward the feelings are to my belly, I still love every second of it!!

One more thing... Will and I have noticed that several people check this blog (based on the counter at the bottom), and we were wondering if you would mind leaving a comment saying where you are from (and your name if you want). We know of a couple close friends and family members that check it every day, but we were wondering how many other people are looking at this thing! Just curious!! Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your stories. It's almost like I am there. Just checking in from Auburn Hills, Michigan. Happy Birthday, Ruby!

andywhite said...

Just an old buddy of William's checking in on you two. Hope all is well. Sounds like you are taking good care of the little one Wendy. Keep us posted. Andy