Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Weightless in Water

Today, Will and I went to the YMCA. I floated in the pool for 50 minutes, and I did not want to get out! It felt so good to be near weightless and have the water supporting my body. I don't think I've felt so relaxed any other time recently! I did feel kind of lazy, going to the Y just to float, but it didn't take long to get over that! When I got out of the pool, it felt like I had cinder blocks attached to my body. I couldn't believe how heavy I felt!! It will be even harder to get out of the water next time, since I know what it will feel like. Even so, I cannot wait to go back to the Y to get in the pool!

We had our second childbirth class today, too. It was great. We watched a video of labor and delivery, and discussed the first stage of labor. It was very informative. She told us how moms typically act during each phase (easy, active, and transition) and what dads can do to help them cope. We learned some new breathing techniques, for when the contractions get stronger and more difficult to deal with (including the panting one... hee, hee, hee, who). We also learned different positions to move in during labor. At the end of class, we took a tour of the L and D floor. We got to see triage, the birthing room, the nursery, and the postpartum room. It's all very nice! The rooms are much bigger than they appear on the online tour.

The class is getting me very excited for labor and delivery! I thought I would be getting more nervous, but it seems with each class, my anxiety decreases just a bit. Our teacher is fantastic, and she's doing a very good job at giving us all the information we need to know while also giving us the confidence to know we can make it through labor and delivery! I can't wait until next week's class!

No comments: