Friday, January 18, 2008

A Day of Play!

Maya and I started our day with a trip to Gymboree. She LOVES going there and playing with all the kids and balls, crawling around and pulling herself up on the play equipment (and other kids and grown-ups), watching bubbles, kissing Gymbo (the clown), and basically going WILD! She just runs around there like she owns the place. All the parents and the teachers laugh at her because she's SO active! The second she sees Gymbo out for the welcome song, she takes off. Mind you, this song is supposed to be interactive between the parent and child, but I usually end up singing by myself while Maya is at the front of the class, trying to play with the 3 feet tall Gymbo doll. Meanwhile, I'm trying to decide if I should intervene and save the teacher or just let Maya explore. Usually, I just let her go. As long as she's not physically hurting someone, I don't intervene. How else is she supposed to learn? The funniest thing she does at Gymboree is anytime we are doing an activity that involves everyone being in a circle, Maya crawls right to the middle. It's as if the world is her stage, and we're just her audience. When we clap or cheer, I KNOW she thinks we're clapping for her. She gets all excited and screams or squeals. It's SO funny! Nobody can ever believe she's only 7 1/2 months old. She's so active, everyone always assumes she's older. At the same time, she's so small that it's somewhat shocking to see her getting around so well! She's just so stinkin' cute and FULL of personality! She's been described as "spunky", "scrappy", and energetic (we get that one all the time). That's Maya! She loves life!

After she woke up from her afternoon nap, we went to the YMCA to go swimming. We bobbed around in the water, splashed, played with a beach ball, practiced "jumping in", blew bubbles (well, I did, anyway), and crawled around in the beach entry. Maya purposely put her mouth in the water a couple of times. I was very happy about that! She sputtered a little bit once but didn't really act like it was a big deal. I think seeing my face in the water blowing bubbles gave her a little boost of confidence. She thought she might like to try that. While she didn't blow any bubbles, I thought she was very brave for trying! She had the most fun playing in the beach entry. She could crawl around all by herself, and she played a lot at the base of a fountain, where there were a lot of bubbles made from the water splashing into the pool. I still can't get over how tiny she looks crawling around in the water! She's still just a little baby, but she's really starting to practice her independence! It's so fun to watch her experience life and learn about her environment. I love to get down on her level and check things out from her perspective. Having a baby makes you view the world through fresh eyes all over again. The world's a nicer place when viewed through the eyes of a child. I'm so grateful to have been given the opportunity to share all these wonderful new experiences with her. Watching her experience life brings joy to me each and every day. She's amazing.

No comments: