Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Wicked Diaper Rash Rears its Ugly Head... Again

It was 26 days ago that we began the battle with diaper rash. Tonight, when I put Maya to bed at 7pm, I was sure that by 2 more diaper changes, her skin would be cleared up 100 percent. She still had two small spots of rash on her butt that I had been treating with Magic Butt Cream for the last 2 days. As soon as I started using it, the rash started to fade away. Tonight, it was all but gone. At 8:45pm, Maya woke up and started crying, which is definitely not normal. I thought that maybe she pooped, so I went up to change her. Sure enough, she was stinky. I laid her down on her changing table, and she was near hysterics. I thought it was odd until I pulled down her diaper and discovered the problem... the rash was back. Her ENTIRE diaper area was bright red and very raw looking. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought, "you've GOT to be KIDDING me with this!" Maya screamed and screamed, and even when I was done changing her, she didn't stop crying. She was pretty much inconsolable, and I can't say that I blame her! Her butt looks VERY painful! I ended up having to take her downstairs, turn off all the lights, and cuddle with her in front of the TV for distraction. I had to do something to get her mind off of the pain! The poor girl. It was so hard for her to even get in a comfortable position to relax in. I feel SO SORRY for her! It's been almost a MONTH, and we're still battling this rash! When will it ever end?! Since discovering her 2nd top front tooth tonight (that's 6 teeth, total!), I'm sure that it has EVERYTHING to do with teething. I'm not sure what it is about teething that causes babies to have toxic diarrhea, but it's ridiculous. I'm kind of surprised that it's starting just now because her tooth is through her gum line. I would think it would get better once it has popped through, not worse. I guess we'll be going back to her doctor tomorrow, or maybe he can just call in a prescription. I hope so. I scraped the bottom of every last tube of medicine he gave us just to clear up the rash the first time, so we're going to need refills! It's supposed to snow a ton tonight, so I really don't want to drive across town to the doctor's office. We know what worked last time, so I'm hoping he will spare us the trip. I just can't understand why this is happening with these top teeth. She didn't have anything like this with her bottom teeth. I don't get it. I'm so tired of seeing her in pain and suffering through diaper changes. I thought those days were gone. Clearly I was wrong! TEETHING BITES!!

No comments: