Saturday, January 17, 2009

First Day Flying Solo!

This was quite a precious moment in the middle of a hectic day. I had no idea what would be in store for me as I began this first of many days alone. Technically, I had Kalina, my brother's girlfriend, sleeping in the basement, ready and willing to bail me out if I needed it. The reassurance was nice, but I was determined to get through the day on my own. I basically spent the entire day feeding a baby, changing a diaper, cleaning up after a baby, playing with a baby, or trying to get a baby down for a nap (all activities apply to both babies)! Finally, against the advice of all pediatricians, I placed Liam on his belly - completely supervised - for a nap. Since he sleeps so well on me, I thought he might sleep just as well on his belly on the couch. He did actually nap quite well, as you can see in the photo. Maya still isn't over the novelty of the new baby, and every time he settles in for a nap, she wants to be in his face, giving him a kiss or hug. Often she puts her cheek on him and says, "Awww... baby." It's so cute. I love that she loves him so much, but at the same time, it's frustrating when she wakes him from a nap because that's the only time we get one-on-one time together. When Liam wakes up, I kiss that time good-bye because then my time is spent holding him, trying to get him back to sleep, so I can play with Maya. It seems to be a vicious cycle. Much like Maya's first weeks, he sleeps best when being held. The second I try to lay him down in his bassinet, bouncer, or swing, he wakes right up! Maya was the exact same way! The girl never napped. If you would have told me that she would be as good of a sleeper as she is now, I never would have believed you. Never. Not in a million years. The good news is... I feel like there's hope for Liam to become a good napper/sleeper. It may be months down the road, but sometime, he'll get it figured out. We'll get it figured out, and we will have a routine again. We will sleep again. I will have "me" time again. Someday. Until then, I'll try hard to meet their needs, play with them, shower them with unconditional love, and really enjoy these days that I feel like I "barely survive" because I know that all too soon, they will be a thing of the past. They are only this age once. As exhausted as I am, I'm determined to find enjoyment in every day. We all deserve it!

My brother, his friend, and his girlfriend all came upstairs at about 3:45pm, and Will got home from work around 4pm. I had assistance for the rest of the night, but we had all made it through the day without help! We were still in our jammies, but we made it!

No comments: