Thursday, January 8, 2009

Liam's First Outings...

Whew! What a day! We headed out this morning to Jungle Gym at the YMCA. It only took me 2.5 hours to get everyone ready and out the door! We got there around 11:15am (it ends at 12pm), so Maya had a little time to play. I figured Liam would be ready to eat within a few minutes, so I took him out of the car seat. Surprisingly, he fell asleep and continued to sleep through the rest of Jungle Gym. Consequently, I was unable to play with Maya, and she spent the 45 minutes just walking around and playing by herself. The gym was divided in half, with all the toys and kids on one side, and an empty basketball court with some basketballs on the other. Maya spent all of her time on the empty court, and I felt horrible. I wanted so badly to get up and run around with her, but I assumed that as soon as I did, Liam would wake up and demand to be fed. I remained on the bench, watching the time tick by. Maya seems to be a little more reserved these days, a little slower to warm up to hectic situations, where in the past, she would just jump right in with both feet. I guess a little caution is normal at this age, if not preferred. At any rate, I know she'd warm up a little quicker if I was available to encourage her to play with the other kiddos. Next time, I plan to bring Maya without Liam. We could definitely use a little Maya-Mama time. Since Liam arrived on the scene, we haven't had any time to ourselves. We're both ready for an outing... maybe next week. (Oh, yeah, since Liam never woke up to eat at the Y, he howled in hunger the entire way home.)

Later today, we had Liam's first doctor's appointment with our family doctor. Dr. S. asked me several questions about Liam's birth, hospital stay, circumcision, home safety, sleeping arrangements, and method of feeding. Without going into great detail, the answers were uneventful, uneventful, uneventful, non-smoking household, sleeps on back, and breastfed. He checked out with a clean bill of health, and we were instructed to return at the "one month" mark for another exam and immunizations. He's growing very quickly, and he's already surpassed his birth weight! That's supposed to happen by 2 weeks, and it's only been 10 days! He's 9 lbs. 9 oz., 22 in.! GO, LIAM! (And, go me!)

No comments: