Saturday, February 17, 2007
A Wrestling Upset
My brother, Coley, had his district wrestling tournament today. This was an important meet for him because those who finish in the top two in each weight class advance to the state tournament in Des Moines next week. Unfortunately, Coley lost his first match, which was the one he really needed to win. Eventhough he knew his odds of going to state were slim after the first loss, he found the strength, both mentally and physically, to win his second match. However, the kid that he needed to win the championship, so he could have a chance to wrestle back to second place, didn't win. Coley was officially done. It was a bitter-sweet day for me because I finally got to see him wrestle for the first time this year, but his dream to finish his career at the state tournament was not realized. It was a hard pill for him to swallow, and it killed me to watch him go through it. I just hurt for him, and there wasn't anything anyone could say or do to make the moment better or easier for him. It was a difficult day for everyone, and there were a lot of tears shed for Coley. His wrestling career started when he was just itty-bitty, and he's come a long way since then. No matter how this day or his entire wrestling career ended, I am very proud of my brother. I personally think he is a terrific wrestler.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment